A blog for my TCF 312 class. IE: For class, click my profile for my personal blog.

Monday, April 11, 2011

THIS. QUOTE.

“I hate people who write off other people’s talents just because of their taste in movies. I left film-school for that very reason. The first thing the teacher told us was “If you want to make Terminator 2, leave now” and I was like, fuck you man. There could be a kid sat in the corner disheartened because Terminator 2 is the movie he wants to make, that’s his vision and here’s the teacher telling him he can’t do that. He had no fucking right, none of us do. Besides, I think Terminator 2 is a pretty kick-ass movie.” - Paul Thomas Anderson


I love PTA's movies, but after reading this quote he has put into words the attitude that I've had toward film school the entire time I've been here.


Film students have a terrible stereotype of being totally elitist about movies, and I've found that 9 times out 10 it is absolutely true. Film IS subjective, don't be mean or rude about something just because YOU don't like it.


For example, I LOVE horror movies, they are the thing that I want to have a career around; but a lot of film students see horror movies as a lower form of a media, the bottom of the totem pole as far as movies go. I don't let this get me down though, because there will always be horror movies getting made, and they will always make more money than pretentious indie movies.


I can understand telling someone to broaden their tastes. But ripping someone down just because that is one type of art or movies among the varity of your tastes is pretty narrow minded. Film students should stop living in this mind set.